Caring for your Jewellery
Caring for Gold Jewellery
Gold Jewellery can last years if cared for properly. Here are a few tips on caring for your jewellery:
- Gold is a soft metal: This makes is susceptible to dings, scratches, and dents. Be mindful of your gold rings, necklaces and bracelets while you wear them and remove them while engaging in rigorous activities
- Do not expose gold to chlorine: With repeated exposure, chlorine will weaken your gold jewellery’s structure and eventually lead to it breaking. Make sure to take your jewellery off before getting in a pool or spa.
- Cover or remove while cleaning: household cleaners with acids or abrasives will damage your jewellery’s finish. Be sure to use rubber gloves while cleaning or remove your jewellery altogether.
- Put your jewellery on last when getting ready: makeup, perfume, hairspray, and lotions can damage your gold. Be sure to put these things on before your jewellery to limit the exposure.
- Take jewellery off before bathing: wearing jewellery while you bathe can lead to a buildup of soap which will cause a film on your jewellery and cause dullness.
- Heat: Coloured stones should not be exposed to extreme heat as it can lead to alterations in their natural colour
- Dishwashers: NEVER put your jewellery in a dishwasher. It can cause irreparable damage
How to Clean your Gold Jewellery:
- We recommend that you soak your jewellery in warm soapy water and use a soft brush to lightly clean off any dirt/oil
- Rinse in clean water and lay flat to dry
- Always store your jewellery in separate soft fabric bags to avoid scratches and chains from tangling
Caring for Pearls
It is important to take care of your pearls. Here are some basic tips that we recommend
- Avoid perfume or hairspray making contact with your pearls as these chemicals can severely damage the luster of pearls
- After every wear, wipe your pearls with a soft cloth. This will help prevent any buildup of oils or other substances damaging the pearls
- Dry before storing to protect the silk strand and elastic
- Store them flat to prevent stretching and in a separate fabric bag/soft compartment to prevent scratching
- Wear them often! not only do they look great, but are best kept in a moist environment to keep them from drying out. We do not recommend you keep them in safety deposit boxes given these have humidifiers to keep paper dry.
- NEVER put pearls in a ultrasonic jewellery cleaner and keep them away from steam. This will damage the outer layer of the pearl.